Friday, December 11, 2015

Friday Spotlight On... Karri Thompson

Today we're shining the spotlight on Karri Thompson, author of the Van Winkle Project series.





Karri Thompson, a native of San Diego, California, grew up hanging out at the beach and playing sports.  When she’s not nerding out at San Diego Comic-Con, she can be seen doing normal-people stuff like teaching high-school English, cooking delicious meals for her family, and attending her son’s football games.  In her spare time, she writes young adult and new adult fiction and loves listening to hard rock.  She hopes to live long and prosper, and that you will, too.

Stay Connected...
Twitter * Facebook * Goodreads * Newsletter

Get To Know Karri...  


If you could sing one song on The Voice, (or X-Factor or American Idol), what would it be and why?
 First of all, I would definitely want to sing on The Voice, so I could meet and look at Adam Levine. I can’t sing. If I auditioned for American Idol, I’d be one of the people they’d keep, so Simon could say something to me like: "Last year I described someone as being the worst singer in America. I think you're possibly the worst singer in the world," but I’d do my best with the song “Beautiful Dangerous.” It’s by Slash, but Fergie (Black Eyed Peas) does the vocals. This song is sexy, gritty, and heavy on the rock and roll. I love the chorus: “Now we're on this planet, I'm in love with all your dangers, dangers. We can live forever, I can be your pagan angel, angel, Beautiful dangerous.” I love this song, and the range is something I could handle without my voice cracking. It would still be terrible, but I’d wear something sexy, so at least I’d be dressing the part.

You're on a deserted island and uncover an ancient looking box. When you open it, a genie appears and tells you to make one wish. You can wish for anything--except more wishes or a way off the island. What do you ask for?
I’m not sure if asking for a working satellite phone counts as a way off the island or not. If I had the satellite phone, I could call and let people know where I was without directly asking to be rescued, and then they could come get me on their own. But if I couldn’t wish for that, I’d wish for a puppy. I am a married, so the first thing I thought of was wishing to have my husband there with me, but then I realized that would be pretty selfish of me because I’d be denying him of his family, especially our son, his friends, and all the luxuries of being in civilization. A dog wouldn’t know the difference. As long as the dog had my company and love, it would be happy, and then I wouldn’t be so lonely.

Most embarrassing teen moment- that you're willing to admit publicly?
When was sixteen, I went to Hawaii with my cousin for her senior trip. I brought a poster with me of a really hot guy who was completely nude, except for the fact that he was turned to the side, so you couldn’t see his “stuff.” I hung the poster up in our hotel room. On the second night of our trip, my cousin and I went out to dinner and when we came back, our hotel room was swarming with police officers. Apparently our room had been broken into. I remember being so embarrassed while the cops were talking to me, asking me questions, etc., and that poster was right there for everyone to see. I was mortified!

If you were to trade places with someone in a young adult novel, who would it be and why?
OMG! This is a hard question. I’d love to say that I’d switch with my own character, Cassie, from MIRROR X and ASCENDANCY because Michael is a total hottie, but her life is way too crazy for me. So, I guess I’d say Hermione Granger, not that her life isn’t crazy either, but at least she has a wand and a broom to ride – and she gets to experience Hogwarts. Unfortunately she also gets to experience Ron. Okay, he’s a great guy, but he’s not really my type. I’d want to be Hermione for the magic, not the romance.

What's your go to writing snack? chocolate, potato chips, whiskey? 
I have two “go to writing snacks” – a tall glass of unsweetened iced tea, and a tall glass of unsweetened iced coffee. I love the taste of both and the caffeine keeps my mind awake and working. I’ll sip one and then the other, just arbitrarily switching back and forth between the two. When I get stuck on a sentence, how I want to word it, etc., I take a long gulp of each, and if that doesn’t work, I get on the ground and do a few sit ups or pushups. When I face my computer again, I always come up with what to write. It works every time.

 I’ll never let them control me…
 
I’ve been lied to, deceived, and manipulated—again. You’d think I’d be treated with dignity and respect. I’m the one who’s supposed to save humanity, right? I’m the one with the power to re-populate this dying world. But the clones want to control me, force me to give birth over and over again. And my daughters will face the same fate—unless I change it.
My awakening into this future should have been a chance for a new life, but it just promises a living death. With Michael on my side, though, maybe I can save us. He’s the only person I can trust.
I hear rumors of others… A secret society is growing. Tension is building.
A rebellion is imminent.

Get Ascendancy here

Giveaway Time 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Kale (from Jus Accardo: Touch)as because I feel safe with him:). And he is so funny and hot guy:).

    Great interview and I'm really curious about this book!

    ReplyDelete